Hormone Replacement Therapy
- None of the media news articles about HRT and adverse effects (breast cancer, strokes, etc.) are referring to bio-identical hormones. Instead, they apply to synthetic hormones.
- 90% of postmenopausal women who develop breast cancer have never taken any kind of HRT.
- Estrogen levels achieved with bio-identical HRT are lower than levels seen in ovulating women
- The leading cause of death for postmenopausal women is heart disease, not breast cancer.
- Pneumonia and influenza actually outrank breast cancer as leading causes of death!
- 46,000 women die each year from breast cancer. 400,000 women die of heart disease.
- Women on estrogen therapy live longer with a lower incidence of cancers.
- Estrogen replacement can lower your risk of Alzheimer’s by 60% and dramatically decrease the risk of osteoporosis.
Have you ever asked yourself:
- Why do I exercise twice as much and eat half as much and still gain weight?
- Why is my muscle mass and endurance decreasing?
- Why am I getting a "pot belly?"
- What can I do for my hot flashes, low libido, anxiety, depression, dry/itchy skin or tiredness?
What is a hormone?
Hormones are very specific message carriers. They are like keys and hormone receptors on cells are like door locks, the key must fit the lock well or it won't work to open the door. Sex hormones are relatively small and simple molecules compared to hormones like insulin. The smaller the hormone, the more exact the shape it needs to preserve message content (or to fit in the lock and open the door).
What is Bio-Identical Hormone replacement?
Natural hormones are made to match your body's biological hormones exactly and the dosages are customized to fit each individual patient, the "one size fits all" idea does not work with bio-identical hormones. Each patient is put on a dose specifically chosen according to his/her hormone levels, symptoms, genetic profile, stress level, and overall health assessment. Since the product is compounded at special pharmacies, any dose of any hormone can be added, subtracted, and adjusted as appropriate. This is individualized hormone replacement therapy, which takes into account the fact that all women and men are not the same.
There are multiple modalities of administering natural hormones: creams, gels, sublingual drops, injections, capsules, and implants.
All of the benefits of hormone replacement therapy – mood, sex drive, hearth health, brain function, bone density, and cancer protection – apply to natural hormone replacement without clinical evidence of the well-documented side effects of the chemicalized, horse urine conjugated estrogens contained in conventional HRT.
What is the difference between “bio-identical” and chemical/synthetic hormones?
- Mix of horse urine-based synthetic estrogens (equilin, equilinin, etc.) plus additives and coatings, which are also synthetic.
- Can remain in the body for as long as 13 weeks.
- Potency of synthetic estrogen is about 200 times that of natural estrogen.
- Contains higher percentage of more aggressive types of estrogen
- One-size-fits-all dosing.
Natural / Bio-identical HRT
- Bio-identical replaces instead of substitutes with an unfamiliar chemical.
- Eliminated from the body in a matter of hours, not weeks.
- Potency is same or even less than estrogen levels in ovulating women.
- Customized treatment program.
- Physiologic doses used.
- All of the body’s other hormones are evaluated and treated simultaneously to keep the natural balance intact (DHEA, cortisol, testosterone, progesterone, thyroid hormones, insulin, etc.)
- Diet/nutrition, exercise, stress control, digestion, and detoxification, are equally important parts of treatment.
If you have questions about Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement, click here to contact us.