It's already Day 5! We've made it halfway there. We'll be honest, this weekend has been a bit tough, but at least last night's extra hour of sleep came at the perfect time. Has anyone else been feeling sluggish?
As we are now at the most restrictive and challenging part of the detox, your body might be trying to tell you that it needs more sleep, more calories, or more water. Try to listen. Remember, it is up to you to provide your body with everything it physiologically needs during this process, and each of us is different. This blog will be a bit short and sweet because tonight, we are going to heed our own advice! But first, we thought you might like to have a few more pro tips!
Pro Tips for upcoming days 5-7
1. Drink water! In fact, double the amount of water you usually drink each day, if possible. Remind yourself that metabolic detoxification is a series of reactions that neutralize and solubilize toxins, and transports them to secretory organs like the liver or kidneys. Your organs will be working in overdrive to excrete the gunk from your body. Drinking lots of water is the number one way to help this process along!
2. We have had a few patients ask if they should continue their normal vitamin regimen throughout the detox. Dr. Auburn says that especially during days 5-7 where we are supplementing with the full dose of UltraClear Renew, your multivitamin is probably not necessary. You can also temporarily discontinue any additional vitamin A supplements. Definitely do continue taking your probiotic, cal-mag, and fish oil!
3. We have also received a few questions about exercise, and whether it is harmful to do strenuous activity during the detox. Metagenics says you may continue with your regular exercise routine, but you may wish to decrease the intensity slightly to preserve your energy if you are experiencing fatigue. In general though, sweating and increased lymphatic activity is going to help you detox even more.
We will close out this weekend's blog with a few more Day-5-friendly recipes and as always, thank you for checking in and we will see you again here tomorrow! Don't forget to let us know your thoughts, questions, or feedback, and we hope you are feeling proud of how much you have already accomplished.
The following recipes are appropriate for Days 5-7 (and beyond)
Basic Fish Sauté
Sprinkle salt on filleted fish and sprinkle with salt. Heat a heavy pan (cast iron or steel, but not a non-stick pan) over medium high heat for 3 minutes. Pour in about 1 Tbsp. olive or coconut oil and swirl to coat the pan. Place fish skinside down (if fish has skin) and reduce heat to medium. Let it cook for a few minutes if a thin filet or up to 10 minutes if thick, such as salmon steak. Using a metal spatula, flip the fish. The skin may stick. Cook one more minute for thin filets or 3-5 minutes for thicker fish. Serve immediately.
Sautéed Broccoli Rabe (serves 6)
- 1 lb. broccoli rabe, trimmed
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, sliced thinly
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
Remove tough stems from broccoli rabe. Cut the remaining stems into ½˝ pieces. Chop leaves. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat and sauté garlic for 1 minute. Transfer garlic to a small bowl and set aside. Add the stems and sauté until slightly softened, 3-4 minutes. Sprinkle in dash of salt and add chopped leaves and florets. Sauté another 3-4 minutes and add another sprinkle of salt/pepper and sautéed garlic. Stir to mix well and remove from heat. Add vinegar and toss.